The first thing is preparation.
It is very important because kimono needs many accessories.
When everything is ready, stack up furisode, obi and accessories in order.
So you can put on them smoothly.
Things you prepare
They are for wearing furisode and tying “bunko” (above).
- fukuro obi
- nagajuban for the furisode
- kimono slip, hadajuban and susoyoke underwear
- towels (padding)
- 3~5 strings
- Korin belt
- 2 datejime belts
- goju-himo band
- obiita board
- gauze (your height)
- obimakura (depend on obi shapes but this “bunko” is no required.)
- 3~4 clips
- tabi socks
I explain about “kitsuke komono” or kimono accessories in the article. Please refer to
GO to ENGLISH TOP Kimono needs many accessories because it doesn't have any zippers and buttons. Usually use strings, […]
GO to ENGLISH TOP Nowadays you can buy kimono and its accessories online without coming to Japan. It's so easy. H[…]
Sew “haneri” on “nagajuban” and put “erishin” in
GO to ENGLISH TOP "Haneri" or a decorative collar is a strip of fabric. It's about 15 cm x 80 cm. The decorati[…]
Put kasane-eri on furisode
GO to ENGLISH TOP When women wear a formal kimono, they often wear another collar called "kasane-eri" or "date-eri" […]
GO to ENGLISH TOP Kimono dressers usually use "sanjuhimo" or a triple band. It is a kind of string with 3 elastic bands[…]
Fold furisode and obi into “karidatami”
“Kari-datami” is the way of folding kimono and obi in advance to take a smooth start.
Fold the furisode into “kari-datami” temporarily. It’s very easy.
1. Place the collar on the left. Fold the kimono into half and fold the sleeves under the bodice.
2. Fold the bodice into three parts equally. The solid line shows a mountain fold and the dotted line shows a valley fold.
They are parts’ names of fukuro obi in the photo below.
How to fold fukuro obi into “karidatami”. It is useful to tie it smoothly.
1, Turn the obi over and take twice the width of obi.
2. Take no.1’s length 3 times.
3. Fold the obi into half from “te-saki” and make a triangle at the edge of the right.
4. Fold the half-folded part into like an accordion.
Here is the video.
Stack up everything
Before stacking up, fold all things neatly so as to take them easily.
The order of stacking up
Put everything in a shallow box or on a wrapping cloth “furoshiki“.
From the top,
Be sure to…
- The first thing you have to do is put tabi socks on.
- Did you put the erishin interlining through the nagajuban’s collar? People often forget that.
- Belts, bands, strings and a cord should be placed to take their centers easily.
- Put clips aside.
- Place all items on the left in front of you.
- This time, no obi pad is required.
Are you ready?
Okay! So let’s put on frisode!
Oops! Sorry, now I’m making and writing it. Please wait for a while.